Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halloween Safety

Children are clumsy to begin with. It’s not their fault their still growing. Put them in an ill fitting Chewbacca suit to with two narrow eye slits and the potential for disaster increases exponentially. Help the rug rats out and limit the homeowner insurance claims by keeping your front porch and walkways clear of tripping hazards.

I never understood decorating pumpkins for Halloween. They either end up busted up in the streets or rotting on my front steps. Pumpkins are good for one thing, pumpkin pie. Mmmmm, Pumpkin Pie. However, if you have to carve a Pumpkin and set it out front don’t put a candle inside. As technology progressed we moved away from dangerous fire to a slightly safer lighting source called a flashlight. When the plastic power ranger costume clad cretins come banging on your door you’ll rest easy knowing you won’t have to get the garden hose and put out the kid engulfed in flames rolling around in your front yard.

As far as costumes go, Ninjas are cool. I don’t know why but ask any kid and they’ll tell you Ninjas rule. Second come pirates. Pirates that wield toy scimitars and hack up that stupid pumpkin you’ve spent six hours carving. Last year I saw at least 4 Ninjas and 3 Pirates in my neighborhood. The Ninjas were clad in all black, kicking pumpkins to the curb and running across the dimly lit streets. Remember these aren’t real ninjas, you could never back over a real ninja with you car. These are pretend ninjas who tend to run into the street in ill fitting garments tripping and falling down as you’re driving by trying to avoid the pumpkins being chucked at your car by the stupid pirates. I suggest staying at home to protect it from pirate pillaging this year. Avoid traveling during the hours the kids are out. If you do have to go somewhere, use extreme caution.

Do you own a dog? This may come as news to you but, dogs bite kids. Rufus the 150 pound Doberman is only to happy to chase down a 50 pound kid bite him, and then wolf down the candy he drops. Dogs love to push their way past you out the door as you open it to dispense candy to the ruffians. Nothing makes the holiday better than prying your Pit bull off the neighbor kid while his parents are screaming lawsuit. Keep Rufus locked away for the night, your insurance company will thank you.

When picking out the costume for your kids stay clear of the ninja isle. Buy something bright and reflective for high visibility. Tell them it’s a pirate ninja robot or something. Add the words pirate ninja to any kids costume and it will immediately become cooler. Keep them in groups it’s safer. Also provide a little adult supervision; the pumpkin owners will thank you. Avoid alleyways and dark paths, that’s were the real ninjas lurk, or cars that may be unable to see you in the dark. Instead of a pumpkin slicing scimitar give them a flashlight, or a light saber, something to increase their visibility to people on the road. If they do go out alone know where their going and when they’ll come home. It will help you fill out the police report later when the Cops show up and accuse your kid and eight ninjas of lobbing flaming pumpkins at the local Quickie Mart and burning it to the ground.

Have a Safe and Happy Halloween

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a great post! I was laughing as I remembered my dear little brother flinging dog POOP across the street onto the Corvette parked across the way. Or on Butchies car... Remember bobbing for apples, jumping in piles of leaves, and picking apples with Grandma and Grandpa? Fall was always my favorite. I never got cool costumes though, did you?
Star

Unknown said...

Wow you can tell you are a SAFETY OFFICER...

Jay & Claudia said...

You know, Star has a tremendous amount of revisionism in her brain. If I recall correctly, the infamous dog-poo flinging incident on Summer street was started by none other than the accuser. I will admit to locking out my brother in his underwear in the middle of winter...but I claim mere participation in the said poo incident.

Secondly, our costumes sucked for Halloween. One year I went as a paper sack and another year as an intrepid first grader with a bowl cut. Mentally challenged boy and the Kmart shirt avenger years were even less memorable.

Unknown said...

OH YEAH, I THINK I WENT ONE YEAR IN NOTHING BUT SARAN WRAP....

WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH WHEN WE WERE LITTLE...REMEMBER THE SANDWICHES WE MADE PRETENDING TO HAVE BOLOGNA? IT ONLY HAD KETCHUP AND MUSTARD, AND WE PRETENDED TO HAVE BOLOGNA.

James Cole said...

Ok, you two keep the "woe is me" stuff down. I'll tell you why Halloween sucks so much... Fourth grade (Honest truth) mom and dad gave me a cardboard box and painted a car on the side. I went as a ghetto fabulous pimp mobile to school. Do you know the mental suffering that happens when you’re trying to squeeze your self into one of those “all in one” children’s desk wearing a cardboard box. The kid next to me is Indiana Jones complete with leather fedora and I’m a stupid friggin’ box. Dad went ahead and painted my box with red paint he had laying around the house that morning. The fumes left me light headed and the paint kept rubbing off so by the first hour of class I looked as if I had ritualistically slaughtered a live chicken during recess. I am trying to chat up the girl next to me who’s dressed as tinker bell, high on paint fumes, all crazy eyed, red paint smeared across my face and arms. My social life suffered for years. Boo Hoo, Mrs. Ketchup and mustard sandwich. Oh yeah, and I still remember the time Jay locked me outside in my Incredible Hulk Funderoos on the pretense of racing me to the fence. My only hope of dating, the girls who lived next door, watched me as I ran knee deep in the snow from the front to the back door crying to be let in. I will have my revenge. I spent years honing my ninja like skills in the military and I intend on kicking his ass the next time I see him. Poo flinging monkeys, I will have the sweet taste of revenge. I swear.

Unknown said...

Oh no James...you were not a box...you were a futuristic SCION...

I seem to remember a costume in your past that had leotards as part of it...Only the leotards were mine, and they worked their way down your legs until they hung off your feet about 15" You loved it.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah Ninja man...wait till you get a load of my Japanese Katana...so sharp it can cut paper dropped on it!
Never gets dull even after hacking through 6" bamboo.
It was part of one of my "cool" costumes. Yeah...mom and dad never tried to pawn off sacks and boxes on me, Oh no, I got the best. Just no bologna.
Samurai Star

Unknown said...

We need safety comments for Thanksgiving too...
We could cut ourselves, burn pie and melt the oven mitts to our hands.
You can't stop with Halloween...
By the way shouldn't kids have the candy X-rayed?
So cool to get your stuff X-rayed!

James Cole said...

X-ray candy? OMG, no the only needle in candy was found in 1988 in Maryland. You stand a better chance of being struck by lightning. Look if people want to poison or hurt your kid it’s statistically going to be someone you know, a friend or family member. So, my advice is to only eat candy you get from strangers.

Anonymous said...

Great post! It was helpful when writing my post about Halloween safety for clumsy people since I'm not a parent and don't always know what to tell those with kids.

Jay & Claudia said...

You're kidding yourself. You never had a chance with the girl next door :).